Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Here's what happened...

I really should be making sugar cookies or wrapping presents right now but I get so few opportunities with the computer these days and as I was printing out the best sugar cookie recipe in the world (Betty Crocker's) I realized that this screen I was staring into... these square buttons I was individually pressing... this strange humming noise coming from my right... this is the very same elusive computer I once spent endless minutes at.

So I will quietly type away until my guilty conscience notices what I am doing and, more importantly, what I am not doing.



Here is what the last few days have been like.



Thursday, Dec 14



After work, I drive alongside my (previously) only son and my beautiful and (previously) pregnant sweet marie to Grandma and Grandpa's house. Elliot goes to bed. Sweet marie and myself then go to a different bed. Wind blows. Then blows harder. Windows whistle. Doors slam and then slam again. Trees fall. Houses go darker than dark. This is all heresay for me as I slept soundly through it all, but for when Sweet marie, I trust in her sleepy innocence, took my share of the blanket. No matter, grandma left another just in case.



Friday, Dec 15



We awake, thanks to a very unlady- like Minnie Mouse alarm clock. Such rudeness I have never seen come from such a pretty and dainty rodent. We shower and grab our suitcase and head downstairs to hear radio reports of skytrain stoppages, road closures, school cancelations and the sorry state of the city's national hockey league team.

We eat.

We drive, narrowly missing an unhealthy looking Ent, sleeping or worse along a neighbourhood street.

We park.

We walk into the Royal Columbian Hospital. Sweet marie mentions she is nervous. I say something comforting and clever like "yeah". I am quite a catch.

We register at registration (I also grabbed some water from the water fountain and noticed someone phoning from a nearby telephone).

Oh, I forgot to mention that we registered at 7am for our surgery at 9am.

8am arrives as we head up to the Maternity Ward where they give us a bed in a ward room. We asked for a private room, but who doesn't. It is the last bed available at the hospital. We unpack and take some pictures. I dress in my scrubs. We take more pictures.


Okay, my conscience just spoke harshly with me and I'll have to continue this story another day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaaaarhg! Leaving us hanging until the next installment. Simon is gorgeous, what darling boys you have. The Ents are not happy about all the downed trees and the sound of chain saws!